Well, here I am, in the middle of the night, composing my very first blog. Ummm........Yay!!
I have wanted a garden for more years than I can remember, and now that I have one, I am so happy. It is growing so well. God is so truly good to me. I have harvested 15 gallon bags of lettuce, 3 long Satsuki Midori cukes, 9 regular cukes, and many many zucchini and round french zucchini. This is so gratifying as it is only June--okay, I guess technically, it is now July 1.
I am so upset! Here I was glowing in my garden success and I didn't know to look for pests, or what those pests would look like. I feel so incredibly STUPID!! I wonder if Adam knew what he was to be protecting the Garden of Eden from, or if he, like me, got wrapped up in the beauty of it and didn't pay close attention to the danger that can sneak up on you when you feel most secure!!
Okay! So, now I know. I have lost my largest French zucchini plant --the one we called "The Monster." Tomorrow, I know what to do. I have to look for the signs of squash vine borers. I thought squash bugs were the worst predator--turns out it is this lovely red and black moth that lays miniscule eggs that turn into larva that bore into the stem of the squash and eat their way out destroying the plant from the inside!! Oh, the lessons we can take from a garden!
My garden middle-of-the-night musings: So, how's this for an analogy? We don't see those small sins until they become a large habit that can end up sapping our control. I love the quote--wish I knew who to give credit to-"We are either all for God, or we're not." Powerful statement!! A beautiful moth that leaves undetectable eggs (But God sees all!) that end up taking over the plant when full grown!!
Here is a picture of "The Monster". I'll post a picture tomorrow when I go critter hunting in the garden.
