Sunday, July 1, 2007

Caught -- a serious pest!



Hah!! I stayed up most of last night researching my garden pests, then was up too too early with my little Bridget Bird (she has a croupy respiratory cold) in a steamy bathroom to clear her lungs. I found that the squash vine borer is easiest to catch at dawn and dusk. Sure enough! At 6am, I woke Sara and Cameron and went bug hunting! We caught her! She is in a jar, and I didn't think to take a picture of her, so I found this picture of ummm...a cousin of hers.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/62655

Then, I checked for vine damage. There was a slit in one of the pumpkin vines, but doesn't look like anything at home, so I covered that part of the vine with soil and then covered lots of other places of vine. I also heaped soil up over the thicker vine/stem of all the squashes and zukes to keep any unseen vine borers from laying eggs where the plant is most susceptible. I watered all of the places that I had covered/buried so that roots will form. This way, if I do have a borer, it won't take the whole plant.

I am feeling a bit better about the war with the beasties. Feeling a bit victorious right about now. Doing a little touchdown dance, and yet, I know that I will need to check everyday now. There were squash bug nymphs all over the scaloppinis!! Dead now, but I am sure they'll be back. I thank God for the great wisdom He has bestowed upon me. Always watchful is the message of the day. God gives us the strength and knowledge to defeat our enemies. We just need to be watchful and when in too deep, call for help. I must take the steps, but trust the path. Jesus, help me to always trust in you!!

No comments: